Dick Loeb's Confession


The confessions of Leopold and Loeb were transcribed interviews conducted by the State's Attorney Crowe and his assistants.  Each boy's confession was read in the presence of the other.  Both accused the other of committing the actual murder.  At the end of Loeb's confession, Leopold adds to Loeb's statement, including his statement that Loeb committed the crime.

"State your full name."

   "Richard Albert Loeb."

   "Where do you live, Mr Loeb?"

   "5017 Ellis Avenue."

   "What is your occupation?"


   "Where are you a student?"

   "University of Chicago."

    "How old are you?"


   "You know that you are in the office of the State's Attorney of Cook County?"

   "Yes sir."

   "And you want to make a statement, of your own free will?"


   "Calling your attention to the 21st day of May, just tell us in your own words if you know of anything unusual relative to the disappearamce of Robert Franks?"

   "On the 21st day of May Leopold and myself-"

   "What is his full name?"

   "Nathan Leopold, Junior, and myself intended to kidnap one of the younger boys from the Harvard School."

   Mr Crowe asked, "Mr Loeb, when you say Leopold, do you refer to this young man here?"


   "Where had you planned this kidnapping?"

   "You mean what?"

   "Where had you discussed it first?"

   "Oh I don't know. I don't remember. I don't remember when it first came up."

   "Well approximately how long before the 21st of May had you discussed it?"

   "Oh a month and a half or two months."

   "All right. Go ahead."

   "It was broached, the plan was broached by Nathan Leopold, who suggested that as a means of having a great deal of excitement, together with getting quite a sum of money."

   "An adventure, as you would say?"

   "Yes. We planned the thing quite carefully, every detail was planned. His car-"

   "What kind of a car does Nathan Leopold have?"

   "Willys Knight sport model, red in color. His car is very conspicuous, and for that reason we deemed it inadvisable to use it, and therefore decided to get a car- rent a car from the Rent -a-Car people. Also in view of the fact that such a car, if obtained under a false name would not be incriminating, were it to be discovered in connection with the crime."

   "So what did you do in connection with the car?"

   "So in order to assume a false name and a real identity, we went and Leopold deposited $100 at the Hyde Park State Bank under the name of Morton D Ballard from Peoria. Following out the same plan, I went down to the Morrison and registered under the name of Morton D Ballard, carrying with me a suitcase, an old suitcase containing some books."

   "Where did you get the books?"

   "From the University of Chicago Library."

   "And the purpose of taking those books in that suitcase to the Morrison Hotel was to lead them to believe that you really intended to live there?"


   "And had clothing of some kind?"

   "Yes. We addressed several letters to the Morrison Hotel inder the name of Morton D Ballard."

   "So that you might receive them?"

   "So that we might recieve them; and on the following day I went in and got those letters."

   "That is, you would call for those letters on the following day?"

   "Yes, the day after that, and I am practically certain that is what it was, it was the third day- the day after we went-pardon me, down to the Rent-a-Car people."

   "For the purpose of fixing the time, that was about when?" 

   "About eleven o' clock in the morning."

   "I mean, about the twentieth day of April?"

   "Yes. I am not sure of the time, I mean the date. I wouldn't swear to that. The twentieth of April, how long is that?"

   "Just about a month before."

   "Yes, about a month. Leopold went in   alone with four hundred dollars in his pocket, which I had drawn from my account in the  Hyde Park State Bank, and with the letters sent to Morton D Ballard at the Morrison, as with also his check book- not check book, his bank book from the Hyde Park State Bank. He told the Rent-a-Car people that he was a salesman new on the route, that was the first time he had covered this district, he was a salesman from Peoria, and that the only person he knew in Chicago was a Mr Louis Mason. He told them this, because the Rent-a-Car people demand three in town references, in order to take out a car. However, he wanted to persuade them to give him the car,  anyhow, in view of the fact that he was new, and that Mr Louis Mason would vouch for him, and also because he would be willing to deposit $400 there if necessary in order to get the car.

I was posted in a little restaurant or cigar store on Wabash Avenue. Do you want the exact name?"

"Yes, if you recall the address?"

"This cigar store is a little bit north of 16th street on the west side of Wabash Avenue. I went in this cigar store and sat near the public phone booth whose number Leopold had, and he told them this was the number of Mr Louis Mason. The Rent-a-Car people called up, and I immediately answered the phone and told them that I was Mr Louis Mason."

"You are in this cigar store now, or in the vicinity of 16th Street, near the Rent-a-Car people?"


"And you placed yourself at the booth?"

"Yes. The phone rang, and I immediately answered the phone and the Rent-a-Car people asked me if I was Mr Louis Mason. I said, "Yes". They  asked me if I knew Mr Morton D Ballard of Peoria; I said "Yes", They asked me if he was dependable. I said "Absolutely dependable." That was the end of the conversation."

"You were then posing as Mr Ballard?"

"No, I was posing as Mr Louis Mason; Leopold succeded in getting the car and told the Rent-a-Car people to forward the identification card which they demand as necessary to get a car any time without the trouble of getting references over again and everything, he asked them to forward this identification card to the Morrison Hotel. We took the car out that morning at eleven and returned it at four.

Then we went down to the Morrison Hotel and I went inside to check out. I went up to the room, and found the suitcase had disappeared from the room."

"You have reference to the suitcase which you had taken in there when you registered?"

"Yes. I realized then that the maid must have gotten suspicious due to the fact that the bed had not been slept in either night, and with her suspicions aroused that she had opened the suitcase and found only those books in the suitcase. Therefore, I immediately left room and left the hotel.

We then phoned the Rent-a-Car people and told them to forward the identification card to the Trenier Hotel."

   "That is located where?"

"At the corner of Oakwood Boulevard and Grand."

"Did any mail come forth from the converstation?"

"No. In order to assume some sort of an identity there, Leopold went in and told them that he was Morton D Ballard, that he had intended stopping at the Trenier but that he was not going to and that if any letters came for him there, they should hold them at the Trenier Hotel.

We mailed two letters at the Trenier Hotel, to Morton D Ballard at the Trenier Hotel, in order that the clerk would think that there was someone expecting mail there so that when the card came from the Rent-a-Car people it would be safe.

However, neither the card from the Rent-a-Car people nor curiously enough, our own letters, which we knew we had mailed to the Trenier hotel, arrived there."

"Now on the twenty-first day of May, 1924, just tell where you met Leopold and what happened? State it in your own words."

"On the 21st of May I met Leopold out of school at eleven o'clock-wait a minute, perhaps I had better start with the 20th of May."

"Very well."

"On the 20th of May Leopold and I purchased at two hardware stores on Cottage Grove Avenue some rope-"

"In what vicinity was that?"

"Cottage Grove Avenue. Both of the hardware stores  I believe-although I am not certain-were somewhere out there shortly north of 43rd  street. The hardware store where we purchased the rope was further north than the hadware store where we purchased the chisel. I purchased, myself alone, both the chisel and the rope.

We then proceded down the street to a drug store, where Leopold tried to purchase hydrochloric acid. He was unsuccessful at that drug store so went a little bit further south. I don't know the exact number where he succeded in purchasing a bottle of hydrochloric acid."

"Where did you get the gags?"

"The gags were at Leopolds house."

"You didn't get them on the same day that you purchased the chisel and thehydrochloric acid and the rope, did you?"

"We got them ready at his house."

"All right. After purchasing these different articles what did you do?"

"We proceeded to his house where we got everything in readiness; some ether that he had at his house, the ropes and the rags to be used as gags, the chisel which he bound with adhesive tape on the sharp end and some hip boots that I believe belonged to his brother."

"Where did you get those hip boots?"

"I believe they belonged to his brother. They were at his house."

"This is all, now, with reference to the twentieth day?"

"Yes, everything was gotten in readiness.

I believe also that on that day the various notes and telephone messages--pardon me, the various notes, were written on the typewriter for Mr Franks."

"Did you see him write any notes in the typewriter?"

"Yes, I saw him write all of them."

"What notes do you have reference to?"

"I have reference to the note demanding the ten thousand dollars in ransom."

"What kind of a typewriter was that?"

"An Underwood Portable typewriter."

"On a Underwood Portable typewriter?"


"And what was the essence of that note?"

"The essence of that note demanded ten thousand dollars and told Mr Franks that his son was safe; specified a certain way in which that money should be wrapped, in a cigar box, told Mr Franks that everything would be all right , the son would be returned to him within six hours if he obeyed our instructions, if he disobeyed any of the instructions, that his son would be killed."

"Now who composed that note?"

"The note was composed jointly."

"And it was typed by Leopold?"


"Do you recall the words used in that note? To the best of your recollection, what were they?"

" 'Dear Sir; You no doubt know by this time that your son has been kidnaped. Please follow our instructions carefully, and nothing will happen to him. If you don't follow our instructions to the letter, you will never see your son again.'  Then there was a number 1, and 'Go down to the bank and get ten thousand dollars-- no, that wasn't it, wait a minute. The number 1 was; ' Do not communicate with the police; if you have already done so, please do not mention this letter. 'Number 2. Go down to the bank and get ten thousand dollars in old bills. Be sure that the bills are old.'  "

"Did you specify any denominations?"

" Yes. 'Any new or marked bills will be noticed.Get two thousand dollars in fifty dollar bills.' '3. Be home by one o 'clock. Do not let the phone be used.'

"Is that all?"

"There was at the end, I don't remember."

"Do you recall any other note that was written that day?"

"I think the other two notes were written on that same day." All the notes and the telephone messages had been written in a rough draft some days before that, so that all that was done on Tuesday, as I remember, was to copy those things. I dictated while Leopold typewrote. Proceeding to the twenty-first, I met Leopold at school at eleven. We--"

"That is on the twenty first day?"

"Yes. We went downtown."

"In whose car?"

"In his Willys Knight, parking the car on 16th street, just east of michigan boulevard, on the south side of the street. Leopold went to the rent-a-car people again, carrying his letters supposedly to Morton D Ballard, and sufficient money. "

"the purpose of the letters was to show he was identified?"

"Yes. He told the Rent-a-Car people that he had not recieved the identification cards, but that he would like to take out the car. They offered no objection, so after a short time he received his car, which was a Willys Knight five passenger touring car, blue in color, with no further identifying marks. In other words, there were no windshields. In other words, the car was equiped only with standard equipment. He passed by me down 16th street, no, pardon me. I saw him coming in the car, and as pre-arranged, jumped into his car and went to Kramers restaurant at the corner of 35th and Cottage."

"And what did you do with Leopold's car?"

"We parked both cars at Kramers, and proceeded to put up the side curtains on the Willys-knight."

"That you had rented from the Rent-a-Car people?"

"Yes. We ate lunch at Kramer's, and left Kramer's--"

"About what time was it when you left Kramer's?"

"About one."

"And you left in whose car?"

"We left with both cars."

"And the curtains up on the Willys-Knight that you had gotten from the Rent-a-Car people?"


"And where did you go from there?"

"We parked Leopold's car at his garage, which is situated in back of his house, I driving the Rent-a-Car Willys. He joined me immediately after having disposed of his car, and we went out to Jackson Park, where we parked for I should judge between three quarters of an hour and an hour, because we wanted to wait until the Harvard School let out before starting any operations. At about two fifteen we left Jackson Park and drove in the Willys to Ingleside Avenue, where we parked just south of an alley on the east side of the street."

"Did you have at that time in the car you were riding, and which you parked down by the alley sround Ingleside there, the hydrochloric acid and the boots, rope and chisel?"

"Yes sir; we had all that. I think, now that I come to think about it,  that when we went to the garage to dispose of his car, I followed him there in the other Willys, and we changed the contents of his car- just took the contents from his own Willys Knight to that one."

"Meaning the hydrochloric acid, boots, rope, gag and chisel?"

"Yes. To the Rent a car people's car."

"Now you are down there on Ingleside Avenue, waiting for the kids to come out of the Harvard School?"

"Yes, I walked over to the Harvard school to reconnoiter."

"And that is about what time?"

"Just about two thirty."

"You are over there for the purpose of reconnoitering?

"Yes sir."

"Go ahead."

"I talked to a fellow by the name of Seass."

"Who is this man Seass?"

"He is the tutor who takes out the children."

"After classes?"

"In the afternoon, to supervise their play. I talked to him for a few moments, and then talked to a young boy by the name of--"

"What did you talk to Seass about?"

"I don't remember."

"Then you talked with who else?"

"With a little boy by the name of Levinson, John Levinson, whom I knew. I just asked Levinson about his baseball game and so forth and so on.

I left the Harvard School, then, that is, I left--pardon me, I left the back, the playground where I had been talking to Seass and Levinson, and went out in front of the Harvard School, where I met my little brother who attends that school. I talked to him for a short time, and then Leopold came down Ellis Avenue on the west side of the street and whistled for me to come over. We walked down the alley leading to Ingleside, same alley near which the car was parked, and told me that there were some children playing on InglesideAvenue that he thought may be possible prospects."

"For kidnapping?"

"For kidnapping, yes. We decided, however, not to get them, and walked down Drexel Boulevard to where we saw a group of children playing on a vacent lot at the corner, the southeast corner of Drexel and 59th Street. We watched these boys and noticed that Levinson was amongst them."

"What is his first name, John Levinson?"

"I think so. We went back to the car, got the car and drove to the west side of Drexel, opposite to where the children were playing.We looked to see if we could recognize them from that distance, but it was very difficult, so we walked down to 50th street, and around 50th street through an alley where we could watch them more closely. Even from there, however, it was impossible to watch them very closely unless we showed ourselves, so we decided to go back to his car,drive over to his car and get a pair of bird glasses."

"You mean field glasses?"

"Well, yes, field glasses, and watch the children through the field glasses. This we did. While he was getting the field glasses, I went to a drugstore at the corner of 47th and Ellis where I looked up the address of Mr Levinson, so that we would be able to tell where John lived. I incidentally bought a couple packages of Dentyne chewing gum at that drug store.

I picked Leopold up immediately after that with the field glasses, and we went over to the same place on Drexel Boulevard. We watched the children some more through the field glasses, and noted that Levinson with a group of some of the other children went down the alleyway out of sight. We didn't think that he had gone home, so remained watching. But when, after quite a while, he didn't show up we came to the conclusion that he might have gone home.

   I went to look for him in the alley, but didn't see him, and saw Seass leaving with the rest of his children. We then went to a corner lot at the corner of 48th and Greenwood, the northeast corner, where John Coleman and Walter Baer's sons were playing baseball. We watched them for a little while, then went down to see if Levinson had gone home, passed his house and found that he was not there or playing on the street. We returned down Lake Park Avenue, passed the lot where the Coleman boy was playing, and went into Leopold's house to watch the children play from one of the windows there. We didn't stay there long, but left, and drove down Drexel to go past this lot where Levinson had been playing, turned and went down Hyde Park Boulevard, turned and went north on Ellis Avenue. At this time I was driving.

   We proceeded north on Ellis Avenue until we caught a glimpse of Robert Franks coming south on the west side of Ellis Avenue. As we passed him, he was just coming across or past 48th Street. We turned down 48th Street and turned the car around, Leopold getting into the back seat. I drove the car, then, south on Ellis Avenue, parallel to where young Franks was, stopped the car, and while remaining in my seat, opened the front door and called to Franks that I would give him a ride home. He said, No, he would just as soon walk, but I told him that I would like to talk with him about a tennis racket, so he got in the car.

We proceeded south on Ellis Avenue, turned east on 50th Street, and just after we turned off of Ellis Avenue, Leopold reached his arm around young Franks, grabbed his mouth and hit him over the head with a chisel.I believe he hit him several times, I do not know the exact number. He began to bleed and was not entirely unconscious. He was moaning. I proceeded further east on 50th, and turned, I believe, at Dorchester. At this point Leopold--"

"What time was it?"

"This was around five o' clock, I don't know the exact time. At this time Leopold grabbed Franks and carried him over back of the front seat and threw him on a rug in the car. He then took one of the rags and gagged him by sticking it down his throat, I believe. We proceeded down Dorchester, and then at Leopold's direction drove into the country. I think we drove either out Jeffery Road or South Shore Drive, I think it was Jeffery Road, I am not acquainted with the district out there, and drove slowly at his directions, and that plus the fact of my excitement accounts for my not being able to tell any of the places where we drove. However, we drove until we were at a deserted road which led off the main road somewhere before the Indiana line. We turned down this road, but it was only for-- it was only a road for a short distance, and ended in a blank. This Leopold knew, but wanted to take it, because it was so deserted.

   We turned around, and as we turned around, he seeing that Franks was unconscious, climbed into the front seat. Up to that time he had been watching him from the back seat. He had covered him up with the robe that we had brought along, the robe also belonging to Leopold. We then drove  further south on the main highway, until we turned at a road which I believe leads to Gary.

We went down this road a ways, and then turned off the road on another deserted road, this deserted road leading north. We followed that for only a short distance, then turned down another deserted road, leading west. We stopped the car, got out, removed young Franks' shoes, hid them in some bushes, and removed his pants and stockings, placing them in the car. We did this in order that we might be saved the trouble of too much undressing him later on. We also left his belt buckle and belt with his shoes, not in the same place, but very near there. We then proceeded to drive around back and forth and back and forth."

"Waiting for it to get dark?"

"Waiting for it to get dark. We stopped at a little sandwich shop on the road, and Leopold got out and purchased a couple of red hot sandwiches, and two bottles of  root beer. We then kept driving more and more, until it was fairly dusk.

   Then Leopold wanted to make a phone call. The phone call had nothing to do with the Franks case. He made this phone call from a drug store situated on the northeast corner of one of the intersecting streets meeting this main highway, the name of which I do not know. The important thing is that I parked the car on this side street facing west, parallel to the tracks. The driver's seat is on the left of the car. Therefore, I was nearest to the drug store. He got out of the car, went to the drug store and made his phone call. In returning, he came straight to the car, so that he hit the door that I was sitting at, rather than the door next to the vacant seat, and he said, "Slip over and let me drive for a while' which I did. He drove the car.

 We again proceeded down the thoroughfare, waiting for it to get dark. I remember we turned up one road which he said led to Indianapolis, and then back again, and finally he drove the car to a place he knew, which was near this culvert. We had both investigated the culvert on a previous journey out there some weeks before."

"When you had planned it, you mean?"

"We dragged the body out of the car, put the body in the road  (robe) and carried it over to the culvert. Leopold carried the feet, I carried the head. We deposited the body near the culvert,and undressed the body completely. Our original scheme had been to etherize the body to death."

"Where did you pour the hydrochloric acid on him?"

"Right there. The scheme for etherizing him originated through Leopold, who evidently has some knowledge of such things, and he said that that would be the easiest way of putting him to death, and the least messy. This, however, we found unnecessary, because the boy was quite dead when we took him there. We knew he was dead, by the fact that rigor mortis had set in, and also by his eyes, and then when at that same time we poured this hydrochloric acid over him, we noticed no tremor, not a single tremor in his body, therefore we were sure he was dead.

   Leopold put on his hip boots, taking off his coat in order to do this, and took thebody and stuck it in head first--"

Captain Shoemacher asked, "Was it dark at that time?"

"Yes. Stuck it head first into the culvert. I might say that at this time it was fairly dark, but still not pitch black, so that we were able to work without a flashlight."

Now Mr Sbarbaro had a question. "How far did you have to carry the body, from the time you got off the machine until you dropped it into or near the culvert?"

"I should say about a city block and a half, I don't know."

"How did you carry it, in this blanket?"

"In the blanket, yes. That is, we had the blanket in sort of, as you might use a stretcher."

"Well, then, you put the body right down into the culvert?"


"And you poured your hydrochloric acid on it?"

"Before we put it down into the culvert."

"And then what did you do?"

"Then I went to the opposite side of the culvert, where the water runs out and where you can get at the water very easily, where I washed my hands, which had become bloody through carrying the body."

"The head had bled very freely?"

"Yes, the head had bled quite freely, I wouldn't say very freely, but quite freely. There was quite a bit of blood; the blanket or robe was quite saturated with blood.

  We then left, taking the robe we used, as also the clothing of young Franks, and we started homeward, and Leopold stopped to call up his folks, and to tell them that he would be slightly detained. This, I should judge, was about nine o' clock. We then stopped at a drug store somewhere in the neighborhood where I looked up the address of Jacob Franks and the telephone number and at the same time Leopold printed the address upon the envelope. We then proceeded toward home--"

"You drove out to Gary, did you, before you got to the culvert?"

"No sir, I don't think we ever entered Gary."

"Well, near Gary."

"Near Gary."

"But it was near Gary, though when you hid the shoes, and his pants and stockings?"


"In what vicinity were you when Leopold made this first phone call?"

"I think we were in the town of Hammond. The road we were on led north and south, I am practically positive."

Mr Crowe asked, "All the ocurrences that happened here, where the boy was hid and so on, happened in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois?"

"The boy was hid?" Richard asked.

"Yes," said Crowe, getting it in the record that the crime was commited in Cook County.

"Yes," acknowledged Richard.

"Yes," said Leopold.

The reading of Loeb's statement continued. "I am not sure whether we posted the letter before or after destroying Franks' clothing. However, what we did was to go over to my house, where we burned the clothing in the furnace."

"Did you burn the blanket, too, in which you had the clothing wrapped?"

"No, the blanket was placed in a little hiding place near the greenhouse at my house. After having burned the clothing, we proceeded to get a pail, soap and brush, and to the best of our ability in the dark to try to wash out the car of the blood stains. The car at this time when we were washing out the blood stains, was parked on 50th street, near the greenhouse. I think that we probably mailed the letter, the ransom letter to Mr Franks, before we burned the clothing-- no, I don't know, at that."

Captain Schoemaker asked, "Where was it mailed at?"

"The letter was mailed right opposite from the Hyde Park post office, and I think was  mailed, in fact I am quite sure was mailed before the clothing was destroyed."

"When would that be, about?"

"That would be about ten o'clock, or a quarter to ten, at the Hyde Park station. Immediately after having destroyed the clothes, washed the car and hid the blanket, we proceeded to a drug store on the northwest corner of either Greenwood or Woodlawn. On 47th Street, where Leopold phoned Mrs Franks, telling her that her son had been kidnaped.

   We then parked the car just north of where Leopold lives, on Greenwood avenue, on the west side of the street, and entered the Leopold home. Leopold took home his aunt and uncle , Mr and Mrs Schwab. I sat with Mr Leopold for a while, until Leopold came back. Then we drank a while, played cards, and then we left, he taking me home in his own car, when he had taken from the garage in order to take his aunt and uncle home."

"What time was it about, then?"

"About ten thirty, I should judge. On the way home, we threw the chisel out of the car on Greenwood avenue, some place between 48th and 50th. He took me home. The next morning he came over to my house around eleven thirty."

"Was that the day that you disposed of the other articles, like the Underwood ?"

"No, this was the next day after the crime. The next day Leopold came over to my house at about eleven thirty, and I dressed and selected a black overcoat and hat of my father's, to wear for the afternoon. I left them home and went out with Leopold, dressed as I usually do. We went to the Cooper Carlton for lunch, where we had lunch with Richard Rubel, the three of us together. Immediately after lunch we went over to my house. I changed my overcoat and cap for the black overcoat and cap or hat of my father's. We went over to Leopold's, and there changed overcoats again, selecting an overcoat that was less conspicuous, that happened to be lying around the hallway there. We then took the rented car, the Willys-Knight, which had been parked all night at that same place, and drove it around to the garage, where we attempted to wash out the blood stains with soap and water."

"Was that Leopold's garage?"

"Yes. Leopold's chauffeur came out, and we told him that we were washing out marks of wine from the car."

"You had reference to the red blood stains then didn't you?"

"Yes. Upon leaving Leopold's, we proceeded downtown in both Willys-Knights, I driving the Rent a Car Willys Knight. We stopped at the corner of Oakwood and Vincennes; we both of us got out of the car and went to the corner of Pershing Road and Vincennes, where there is a Keep the City Clean box. We left a note in this Keep the City Clean box, reading to this effect, that Mr Franks was to come--was to go immediately to the Bogert de-Rose or something drug store at the corner of 63rd and Blackstone, and wait there in a specified phone booth for a phone call.

However, the letter did not stick to the Keep the City Clean box, with the stickers we had provided for it; and fearing that it might blow away or somebody might open the box and have it blow away, we decided that the best thing to do was to entirely omit this letter from our  calculations; and when we phoned Mr Franks, instead of telling him to go to the Keep the City Clean box where he would recieve a note telling him what further to do, to phone his house, telling him to immediately go to the Bogerd de Ross drug store on 63rd Street.

After having placed the letter in the Keep the City Clean box, we proceeded down town in both cars. We parked Leopold's Wilys Knight on Wabash Avenue, near 16th street, and proceeded to the Illinois Central station in the Rent a Car Willys Knight.

We stopped there, and I went out and purchased a ticket to Michigan City, and a berth, wearing glasses, in order to disguise myself, and also the black hat and overcoat. At two-thirty, the three o'clock train which runs on the Michigan central as far as Boston is made uo. (?)

Therefore, at two thirty, I went down to the train, got on the train and left a note which we had prepared, in the box provided for telegraph blanks.

This not instructed Mr Franks to go immediately to the back platform of the train, to watch the east side of the track, and to wait until he had entirely passed the large red brick factory with a water tower on top of it, with the word "Champion" written on the water tower.  After he had completely passed the water tower of this factory, he was to count five quickly, and throw the package as far east as he could.  At the same time, while I was placing the letter on the train, Leopold was phoning the Yellow Cap Company to send a cab to Franks and also telling Mr Franks to go to the Bogert de Ross drug store."

Richard interrupted the reading of his statement here with a correction. "That was at two thirty."

Mr Ettelson elaborated. "The two thirty central time, three thirty our time."

"Yes," Richard said. "It was then two thirty three standard time."

"Three thirty Chicago time," said Mr Ettelson.

   The reading of Richard's statement continued. "We jumped in our car immediately. It was then about two thirty three.We drove quickly to 67sh Street and Stony Island, parking the car on the southwest corner of 67th and Stony Island.

   We got out of the car and noticed a news stand that was there where papers were on sale, showing that an unidentified nude boy had been found out around 121st and Railroad avenue at the Pennsylvania tracks. We had intended phoning Mr Franks from the Walgreen drug store at the southeast corner of 67th and Stony Island. We had intended phoning him to the Bogert de Ross drug store, telling him to get on thi train, to purchase a ticket to Michigan City, and to look in Car 507 for the communication which would tell him or which would give him further instuctions. We debated then what we should do in view of the boy's body having been discovered. I was not very anxious to go on with the matter; but Leopold persuaded me to go ahead with the thing.

So he phoned Mr Franks at the Bogert de Ross drug store, and finding out  that Mr Franks was not there we went to another drug store further south on Stony Island, where we again phoned the Bogert de Ross drug store,  again finding that Mr Franks was not there. We then realized that the body had been identified as that of Robert Franks, and that any further attempt to get the money would only result in failure.

We therefore immediately went down town to the Rent a Car place, and Leopold took the car. I stayed outside, in the Willys-Knight--in the red Willys-Knight which had been parked there. I then returned home, got home about five, and was told of the Franks murder by our chauffeur, who showed me one of the newspapers. Nothing else transpired of importance until Saturday night.

Late Saturday night, around two o'clock, I met Leopold at a restaurant next to the garage, the fashion garage at the corner of 51st and Cottage Grove. We had this car, and we took his car in which he had placed his typewriter, the Underwood portable typewriter, upon which the letters had been written, and we took the typewriter out of the back trunk, brought it into the front seat, and I took a pair of pliers and pried off the keys, just the very tips of the keys where the imprint would show.

We threw these keys in a little bundle, and threw them off the bridge in Jackson Park, situated near the golden statue of Liberty. Then we took the typewriter intact with case, and threw it off the bridge leading to the outer harbor. In other words, the bridge, the big stone bridge with the pyramid effect at all four corners of the bridge. It is the bridge leading to the outer harbor. The typewriter was thrown on the east side of the bridge.

The robe was then taken from its hiding place. We went over to Leopold's garage and got some gasoline, took the robe out on South Shore drive, on a little side street connecting with the south shore drive, and saturated the robe with gasoline and set fire to it.

That is all I have to tell about the murder of Robert Franks.

"And this statement that you just made has been made of your own free will?"

"Yes. I just want to say that I make no excuse, but that I am fully convinced that neither the idea nor the act would have occured to me, had it not been for the suggestion and stimulus of Leopold. Furthermore, I do not believe I would have been capable of having killed Franks.

This statement is made of my own volition."

Captain Schoemaker asked, "Is that true?"

Loeb said "Yes."

"Everything that he read there is true, is it?" Schoemaker asked.

"Yes sir."

Leopold's Additional Comments

I have some corrections," Leopold said. "In the first place, the date as given by Mr Loeb is about a month or two at the most before the crime took place. As I remember it quite distinctly, we started planning this thing as early as November 1923.

In the second place, the suggestion was his, not mine.

In the third place, the Rent a Car is at 14th and not 16th Street. The little restaurant to which he refers is also at 13th, not 1538 Wabash. The hardware store to which he refers is not at 47th, but  between 55th and 56th, on Cottage Grove Avenue.

I did not mind the chisel with tape; he did. The hip boots were not my brothers but mine. The place that he mentioned getting the car was at 14th and not 16th street.

At the time the Franks boy entered our car, I was driving, not Mr Loeb and Mr Loeb was in the back seat. It was Mr Loeb who struck him with the chisel, and not I.

The phone call to my father's I think was made at nine forty five.

"Where did you phone from," asked Mr Savage.

"At 104th and Ewing Avenue. Mr Loeb I think went home at one o' clock, instead of ten  thirty as he seems to think." 

"No, I never said that; I said I went to your house at ten thirty," snapped Loeb.

"Then I misunderstood. And as far as that suggestion is concerned, again, I am sure it was Mr Loeb that made it, and it was his plan, and it was he who did the act.

"Outside of that, the statement is correct?" asked Crowe.